VMware recently released Horizon 7.2 which is now globally available! This new version contains many new features and improvements:
- Horizon Helpdesk Tool
- Horizon Apps new features (Smart Policies and Pre-session)
- Skype for Business Global Availability
- Instant Clone Enhancements
Horizon Helpdesk Tool
With the release of Horizon 7.2 VMware introduced a new Helpdesk Tool. The new Helpdesk Tool Horizon allows Administrators to off-load first and second line problems such asslow connections and hanging desktops to the IT support staff.
Features and Functionality
The helpdesk staff can quickly look up a user, find their session and access specific session details, including:
- Client side:client name, client IP, username, protocol and bandwidth information.
- Server/virtual machine (VM) side:machine name, IP address, logon time, duration, session state, state duration, Horizon pod name, connection broker (Connection Server) and vCenter name.
With the Horizon Helpdesk Tool, helpdesk staff can take basic actions to help the users:
- Send a message to the user.
- Launching Microsoft Remote Assistance to actively help the user in session, disconnecting and resetting the VM.
- See resource consumption for CPU, Memory and latency information off the last 15 minutes.
- See a breakdown of the logon process.
Click here for a demo of the Horizon Helpdesk Tool.
Horizon Apps new features (Smart Policies and Pre-session)
Horizon Apps bundles include User Environment and Smart Policies are supported Horizon 7.2. You can use Smart Policies to create policies that control the behavior of the USB redirection, virtual printing, clipboard redirection, client drive redirection, and PCoIP display protocol features on specific remote desktops.
With Smart Policies, you can create policies that take effect only if certain conditions are met. For example, you can configure a policy that disables the client drive redirection feature if a user connects to a remote desktop from outside the corporate network.
Click here for a demo of Smart Policies.
You can configure a published application so that an application session is launched before a user opens the application in Horizon Client. When a published application is launched, the application opens more quickly in Horizon Client. This is a great feature for applications that have long loading times.
Skype for Business GA
With the release of Horizon 7.1 VMware introduced a public beta for the Skype for Business plugin.
In Horizon 7.2 the new improved production version is now Global Available.
You can make optimized audio and video calls with Skype for Business inside a virtual desktop without negatively affecting the virtual infrastructure and overloading the network. All media processing takes place on the client machine instead of in the virtual desktop during Skype audio and video call.
To use Skype for Business, you must install the Virtualization Pack for Skype for Business feature on the client machine and the VMware Horizon Media Proxy on the VM.
The VMware Horizon Media Proxy is included in the new Horizon 7.2 Agent and the VMware Horizon Media Engine is included in the most recent Horizon Client 4.5.
Skype for Business Supported Features
- Point to point audio calls
- Point to point video calls
- PSTN-calls via dial pad
- Transfer, forward, mute, hold, and resume a call
- HID commands
- Calls to PSTN through mediation server
- Remote connectivity and calls through Edge Server
- Music on hold
- Voicemail integration
Skype for Business System Requirements
- Server: Lync Server 2013, Skype for Business Server 2015, Office365
- Client: Skype for Business 2015 15.0.4675.1003 and later, Skype for Business 2016 as part of Office 365 Plus: 16.0.7571.2072 or later and Skype for Business 2016 as part of Office 2016: 16.0.4534.1000 or later.
Click here for more information.
Instant Clone Enhancements
VMware added some new enhancements for instant cloning in Horizon 7.2:
- The instant clone desktop pool inherits video memory settings, such as the number of monitors and resolution of the vCenter parent VM snapshot. You can set the video memory settings of the pool on the snapshot.
- The vGPU profile for an instant-clone desktop pool is automatically selected when you select the snapshot of the vCenter parent VM.
- You can reuse existing AD computer accounts when the virtual machine names of new instant clones match the existing AD computer account names.
- You can store instant clones on local data stores.
Source: VMware End User Computing Blog, VMware Horizon 7.2 Docs